Rate this
Police Log


An attempt to cut into the drive-thru lane at Wendy’s at 1951 Post Road on May 23 resulted in a hit-and-run charge for a Warwick woman. Officer Raymond Cox investigated the incident and reported that two cars entered the lane, one from Post Road and one from the side street, and neither willing to let the other go first. The driver who did get in front reported that the woman driving the other car drove right up to and pinned his driver’s side door closed before she backed off and said, “Bye, [expletive]!” and drove off.

An independent third party gave Cox the same story and he used the number off a blue Jeep Liberty to get the phone number of the registered owner of the Jeep and a number of officers made attempts to locate the woman that were unsuccessful until another officer finally spoke with an ex-boyfriend of the woman and got her phone number. Cox said he called the number and left a message for the woman, who came to headquarters the following day to give her side of the story. She said it was the other driver who cut into line and edged her out before he made contact with her car but changed her story when she was confronted with the conflicting accounts and the 36-year-old woman was charged with misdemeanor failure to stop for an accident with an attended vehicle.


Officer Charles Austin reported he was dispatched to an accident on Samuel Gorton Avenue around 3 a.m. on May 17. He said he arrived to find a car had hit a hydrant and was on the front lawn of 425 Samuel Gorton with its wheels spinning and lights on. He said the driver was attempting to change gears when he approached and told him to turn the car off and asked him if he was all right. He said the man complained of chest pains and Austin called Warwick Rescue. He said the man smelled of alcohol and said he had six beers earlier. He said he detected nystagmus in the diver’s eyes but could not conduct the rest of a field sobriety test because he was on a stretcher and being taken to Kent Hospital. He said the driver, identified as Joshua R. Parrillo, 36, of 374 Samuel Gorton Ave., was charged with DUI and refusal after he refused a blood test. He was later released with a summons.

Officer Jeffrey Taranto reported he was dispatched to the intersection of Warwick Avenue and Airport Road around 1:30 a.m. on May 18. He said the police cruiser being driven by Officer Rose Michel had been rear ended by another vehicle and she was speaking with that driver. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled of alcohol and admitted to a few beers at Picasso’s Pizza earlier. He said the driver, identified as James D. McMenamin, 29, of 3524 West Shore Road, Warwick, failed a field sobriety test and refused a breath test at headquarters, saying he had suffered some sort of “head trauma” in the accident and did not understand what was going on. He said they transported McMenamin to Kent Hospital for evaluation and he refused to take a blood test there and refused to sign anything after he was taken back to headquarters for booking after he was medically discharged. Taranto said he wanted to be released to walk home but was told he would have to take a preliminary breath test to determine if he could be released to his own custody. He took the test and registered a .188 blood alcohol content. He was told he would be held until an on-call judge okayed his release.

Officer Albert Marano reported he was told about a car proceeding on Post Road with no lights on around 1:15 a.m. on May 17. Marano said he caught up with the car as it was turning onto Route 37 and watched it swerve across the lines several times before he pulled it over. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be drunk and failed a field sobriety test. The driver was taken to headquarters, where he blew a .209 and a .205 blood alcohol content on the breath test. Brenton A. Costa, 21, of 108 Anthony St., East Providence, was later released with a summons for DUI.

Officer Adam Arico reported he was dispatched to the Santander Bank on Post Road around 6:40 p.m. on May 25 for a crash between a Toyota Camry and the bank itself. He said he arrived to find the driver still in the car at the rear of the bank with both airbags deployed and the motor running. He said he asked the woman what happened and detected a smell of alcohol on her breath as she spoke. He said her face was flushed and her eyes were bloodshot and glossy wet. He said the woman told him she was there to get some money out but did not remember what happened. He said she failed a field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters, where she refused to take a breath test. Barbara J. Pardoe, 55, of 86 First Ave., Cranston, was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Officer John Curley reported seeing a car with no lights on straddling both lanes on Warwick Avenue around 1:15 a.m. on May 25. He said the trunk lid was also up and the car made an abrupt turn into the CVS parking lot at 767 Warwick Ave. He said he asked the driver where he was coming from and he replied, “Warwick, Vermont.” Curley said the driver failed a field sobriety test and was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. Brad M. Thibodeaux, 24, of 35 Auburn Rd., Wakefield, was charged with DUI and refusal to take a breath test at headquarters. He was later released to a sober adult.

Officer Michael Harris stopped a West Warwick woman around 4 a.m. on May 17 after he saw it stopped in the middle of the road in front of the Taco Bell restaurant on Bald Hill Road. He said her car darted away as he approached, in spite of two flat tires on the passenger side of the car. He said the car barely missed several traffic cones and almost hit the curb of the construction site. He said she told him she was unaware that she was driving on her wheel rims with no lights on. He said she smelled of alcohol and failed a field sobriety test. He said she told him she was drinking at a place on “Airport Avenue” called “The Unit,” an establishment he was unfamiliar with. Jacquelyn Spaulding, 22, of 88½ Church St., West Warwick, was taken to headquarters, where she refused to take a breath test. She was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Aaron Kay reported a two-car crash at the Park and Ride on Airport Road on May 15. He said the black Hyundai involved had rear-ended a pickup truck and bore the brunt of the damage. He said the driver told him he didn’t remember what happened and he noticed that the driver appeared to be drunk and smelled of alcohol. The owner of the pickup said he was doing the proper speed in the proper lane when the car closed in on his tail and hit him. He said a third man arrived in the parking lot and told Kay he was the cousin of the Hyundai owner and that he had been visiting with him earlier in Pawtucket. Kay said he administered a field sobriety test to the driver and he failed it. Robert E. Brederson, 24, of 50 Redland Ave., Rumford, was charged with DUI, refusal and failure to maintain a proper distance between vehicles.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Click here to log in.
Welcome to RIjobs.com
Your hot stuff
During training, pediatricians learn the traditional definitions of malnutrition in children, which focus on “nutrient scarcity.” Pediatric malnutrition — or under …
EPOCH Assisted Living on Blackstone Boulevard has named Andrea Santo, RN, of Somerset, Mass., the community’s wellness director. Santo will lead the community’s team of …