Police Log

Warwick Beacon ·


A driver who was found asleep at a stoplight was recently arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence.

Officer Matthew Smith was dispatched to the area of Quaker Lane and Cowesett Road on October 13 around 11:30 p.m. for a report of a blue Ford Mustang stopped in the roadway. A caller to the police stated that the traffic signal where the car was idling had cycled through three times and that the driver’s head was in a downward position.

Arriving on scene, Officer Smith found three vehicles stopped on Quaker Lane with two women standing in the roadway. Officer Smith spoke with the women, who stated that they observed the Mustang was in drive and the operator had his foot on the brake. They saw his head slumped on the wheel and he was unresponsive.

The women made several attempts to wake the driver up by banging on the window and honking the horn of their own vehicles with no response. They then positioned one of their vehicles in front of him and another behind with their hazard lights flashing so they would be visible to other motorists and to prevent the Mustang from rolling into the intersection. The witnesses told the officer that they had been on site for about 10 minutes.

Officer Smith proceeded to knock on the Mustang’s window several times and attempted to open the car’s doors. According to the report, the subject eventually lifted his head and looked around in a confused manner. The officer then instructed the driver to lower the window and place the vehicle in park. The driver lowered the window and was again instructed to put the car in park.

The subject then took his foot off the brake, causing the vehicle to roll forward, nearly striking the vehicle parked in front of him before applying the brake again and placing the car in park.

The driver was then instructed to produce his driver’s license, and after fumbling through his wallet produced a gun club identification card. Asked to try again, he soon provided his license.

Identified as Jason Mathieu, 45, of 76 Woodhaven Road in Pawtucket, the subject spoke to the officer, who immediately detected a strong odor of alcoholic beverages emanating from his person. His eyes were bloodshot and watery, and his face was flushed red. He stated that he was unaware that he had fallen asleep and if he did it wasn’t for a long period of time.

Mathieu denied consuming any alcohol, narcotics or prescription medication prior to driving. Other officers were called to the scene to provide backup, and Mathieu agreed to take a series of standardized sobriety tests.

Upon conclusion of the tests, Mathieu stated that he did drink several beers earlier that evening, stating that he did not want to tell the officer as he had been arrested for driving under the influence in the past. Based on the situation, Mathieu’s performance during the tests, and Officer Smith’s experience, it was determined that he was unfit to safely operate a motor vehicle.

Mathieu was arrested and transported to police headquarters, where he agreed to submit to a chemical breathalyzer test. Those tests revealed a 0.203 followed by another 0.203 blood alcohol content reading.

Mathieu was processed and charged with driving under the influence, .15/greater, and a violation for places where parking/stopping is prohibited along with a corresponding court date. He was later released to a sober adult.


On October 8 around 11:40 p.m., Officer Christopher Cote, along with other members of the force, responded to the 900 block of Jefferson Boulevard for a report of a two-car accident.

Officer Cote made contact with one of the drivers, identified as Jose Contreras, 41, of 278 Powder House Blvd., Apt. #35B in Somerville, Mass., who was driving a blue 2012 Acura. Contreras told the officer that he was exiting the highway onto Jefferson Boulevard and struck the other vehicle while merging into the slow lane.

The second operator spoke with Officer Cote and confirmed that Contreras was the other driver and corroborated the story and incident and provided a written report.

Returning to speak with Contreras, Officer Cote detected the smell of alcohol emanating from the driver’s breath and that he had bloodshot eyes. When asked, Contreras stated that he had five to six beers, but that his last beer was at 3 p.m. He then agreed to submit to standardized sobriety tests. In his report, Officer Cote noted that there was a language barrier, but that Contreras did not seem to have any issues understanding questions or directions.

At the conclusion of the tests, Contreras took a preliminary breath test, which showed a blood alcohol content of 0.171. Based on Officer Cote’s experience it was determined that Contreras was unfit to operate a vehicle. He was arrested and transported to police headquarters, where he later refused a chemical breathalyzer test.

Contreras was charged with driving under the influence, first offence, refusal to submit to a chemical breathalyzer test, no insurance and laned roadway violations.


A passenger of a car that was recently pulled over for a broken license plate light was arrested for an outstanding warrant.

Officer Derek Mourato was on patrol on Toll Gate Road on October 14 around 8:40 when he noticed the car with the faulty light. After initiating a traffic stop, he met with the driver, identified as Michael Pizzi, 42, of 20 Vincenzo Drive in West Warwick, and a passenger identified as David Pizzi, 37, of 34 Deerfield Drive in West Warwick. Officer Mourato then returned to his cruiser and ran a background check on both occupants.

There it was revealed that Michael had a suspended license and David had an outstanding bench warrant. David was placed under arrest and transported to police headquarters, where he was booked and processed. He was later transported to the Adult Correctional Institution as he was unable to pay for bail.

Michael was issued a summons for driving with a suspended license, and his car was later towed.


Officer Kevin McGuire was dispatched to the Bald Hill Road Walmart on October 4 around 9 p.m. for a report of two shoplifters in custody.

After arriving on scene, Officer McGuire met with members of the store’s asset protection team, who observed two female subjects, identified as Chelsea Mayo, 25, of 307 Ross Road, Danielson, Conn., and Kaleigh Petitt, 23, of 103 Ward Avenue in Moosup, Conn., acting suspiciously in the infant’s department.

According to the report, they selected infant clothing, jewelry and food, then concealed the merchandise in their purses. Both proceeded to the front of the store and passed all points of sale without paying.

Store security approached the women outside and they were escorted back in without incident, where all of the merchandise, valued at $225.01, was recovered.

Both were arrested and transported to police headquarters, where they were charged with one count of misdemeanor shoplifting and released with a district court summons.

This story was originally posted by Warwick Beacon. Click here to view the original story in its entirety.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment