Police Log

Warwick Beacon ·


On January 11 at approximately 2:32 p.m., Officer Rose Michel met with a victim at police headquarters for a larceny report.

The victim stated earlier that day, he had visited the Greenwich Avenue Stop & Shop. In the store, he walked to the Coinstar change redemption machine, where he placed a Centreville Bank envelope containing $230 cash and his driver’s license. He then walked away from the machine, inadvertently leaving the items behind.

Realizing his mistake, the man returned to the machine two to three minutes later only to find the money and identification gone. He then approached the supermarket’s customer service department, who informed him that the items had not been turned in.

Officer Michel spoke with the manager of Stop & Shop, who advised that the machine has a surveillance camera and that they would attempt to retrieve footage. They stated that they would contact the officer if they were successful. Currently, there are no suspects or witnesses.


A Tremont Street resident recently called the police after he found that his ladder was taken.

On January 11 around 9:30 a.m., Officer Albert Marano met with the resident at his home to file a police report. There, the officer was advised that the homeowner went to bed around 10:30 p.m. the night before, and when he awoke at 9 a.m. he noticed that his 28-foot Werner fiberglass ladder, valued at approximately $305, was missing from his backyard. The victim stated the ladder was orange in color with blue horn pads.

As of the report’s filing, there were no suspects or witnesses.


An H&R Block employee at the Warwick Mall location recently found that her car was burglarized and her credit cards compromised.

Officer James Vible responded to the mall on January 4 around 1:25 p.m. where he met with the victim and the mall’s security administrator. The victim advised that she had parked her rental car on the south side of Nordstrom Rack at the start of her shift at 9 a.m. that day. She indicated that she had left her gold-colored wallet containing her license and assorted debit and credit cards in the car’s middle console.

Later that day, the victim began to receive fraud alerts from her financial institution on her cell phone, and purchases were traced back to Nordstrom Rack. She then advised mall security, who in turn called the police. Security advised the officer that there was no coverage from exterior security cameras for the mall where the victim parked but that Nordstrom was working on obtaining interior video footage.

No damage of the victim’s car was observed, and the interior was relatively undisturbed. Nothing else was missing, including a winning lottery ticket that was in plain view. The woman said she thought the car had been locked but could be mistaken. The victim then notified her financial institution about the theft, and the case has been forwarded to detectives.


A Halifax Drive resident recently awoke to find that her car had no tires or rims.

Officer Brian Murray met with the victim at the address on January 10 around 8:40 a.m., who had parked her car in front of her residence around 11 p.m. the night before. When she went to leave the next day, she found all four wheels, valued at around $2,800, were missing and her car precariously propped. She stated the car had been parked in front of the home as it usually was.

There are no suspects in this case and there was nothing on scene to be processed.


The Bald Hill Road Burlington store requested police assistance on January 11 at approximately 3:56 p.m. for a report of shoplifting.

Officer Quentin Tavares responded to the scene, where he learned that the incident had occurred an hour earlier and no one was in custody but that the incident was caught on surveillance video. He then spoke with Loss Prevention personnel, who stated that a white female had entered the store at approximately 2:12 p.m. She was observed selecting pairs of socks and underwear and concealing them in her purse before exiting the store without paying.

A store manager indicated that they wished to press charges should a suspect be found and wanted to file a report for documentation purposes.


While on patrol traveling southbound on Quaker Lane around 1 a.m. on January 4, Officer Michael Isherwood observed a car traveling northbound that had a white brake light rather than red. He then turned around and initiated a traffic stop in the area of Quaker Lane and Cowesett Road.

Officer Isherwood approached the vehicle and explained the reason for the stop. It appeared that a light lens cover was broken. Identification from the driver and passenger were obtained, and the passenger, identified as Michael Atzert, 27, of 52 Ministerial Road in Wakefield, indicated that he might have a bench warrant for some recent unpaid fines.

A background check was then conducted, which revealed an active warrant from Washington County district court for failure to appear and ability to pay. Atzert was then arrested and handcuffed and transported to headquarters, where he was processed. The driver was advised of the situation and was issued a warning for the taillight. She then left the scene without incident.



A driver who was recently arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence recently told officers, “I would have been home by the time you put me in your cruiser, my last few drinks will probably put me over the limit.”

On December 31 around 1:20 a.m., Officer Ali Jaafar was traveling east on Main Avenue when he observed a vehicle heading in his direction in the opposite lane traveling in the middle of the two westbound lanes. The officer then maneuvered a U-turn and followed, where he saw the car swerve between lanes while traveling 52 miles per hour in a 35 mile per hour zone. A traffic stop was then initiated.

The driver, identified as David Pincins, 66, of 286 Laurel Hill Avenue in Providence, had a strong odor of alcohol emanating from him, according to the police report. His eyes were also bloodshot, his face red and his speech was extremely slurred. Officer Jaafar asked Pincins if he has anything to drink that evening, and he at first said that he did not. He stated he was coming from Warwick and that he was unaware he was still within city limits.

Further questioning revealed that Pincins was coming from a bar near Oakland Beach Avenue and that he was heading to his daughter’s house in Coventry. He then stated that he had a few drinks approximately one hour prior to being stopped. Additional officers then arrived on scene to provide assistance.

Pincins was asked to step out of his vehicle to partake in a series of standardized sobriety tests, which he agreed to. When testing was terminated, he told officers that he had quite a few drinks and that his last one was about 30 minutes prior to being stopped. Based on the officer’s observations and experience, and Pincins’ performance during the test, it was determined that he be arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence.

After being handcuffed and transported to police headquarters, he later refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test. Pincins was booked and processed for the charge of driving under the influence, first offence, refusal to submit to a chemical test, and for laned roadway violations and speeding. He was later picked up by a sober adult.

This story was originally posted by Warwick Beacon. Click here to view the original story in its entirety.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment